Cedar Class - Y3
WELCOME TO CEDAR CLASS!
LEARNING AT HOME.
Now that you are having to self-isolate, I am really missing you all. I will be trying to add some resources on-line every week. If you love working, do as much as you want to. If not, do not try to cover everything. Remember these are just ideas... and you don't need to print out the sheets - use a notebook or do the on-line activities. Remember, you also need to have breaks and fun during the day too.
The most important thing is that you stay well and try to keep up the reading and times tables above everything else.
This week's topic is ROCKS AND FOSSILS (for two weeks).
Our literacy work is about VOLCANOES.
In Maths, it is fractions. However, if the fractions work is too difficult try some of the other maths, especially our past maths work.
|MONDAY - THURSDAY||
AM - PLEASE DO THESE THINGS:
START WITH JOE WICKES PE ACTIVITY OR GO NOODLES TO WAKE YOU UP.
ONE ACTIVITY FROM CREATIVE WRITING OR LITERACY SKILLS
ONE ACTIVITY FROM MATHS (it can be on-line games)
READ FOR 15 MINUTES
ROCKSTARS PRACTISE (THE LINK IS IN NORMAL HOMEWORK) or play other tables games.
PM - ACTIVITIES ARE OPTIONAL - CHOOSE FROM:
SCIENCE - watch the videos and do some of the activities.
PLAY ON ANY GAMES / TOPMARKS OR DO ACTIVITIES IN THE HOMEWORK SECTION. GO NOODLES OR PE - LINKS ON Instagram, Facebook and Twitter: NEXTLEVELSPORTX
WEDNESDAY - DO SOME ICT ACTIVITIES
THURSDAY - DO SOME MUSIC ACTIVITIES
AM - PLEASE TRY TO DO THESE THINGS:
ONE ACTIVITY FROM MRS JENNER-DYER'S LIST OR LITERACY SKILLS
ONE FROM MATHS INVESTIGATIONS
READ FOR 15 MINUTES
TEST - 10X, 2 AND 4X - USE THE ROCKSTARS SHEET AND TIME YOURSELF FOR 3 MINS
PM - ACTIVITIES ARE OPTIONAL - CHOOSE FROM:
FINISH ANYTHING THAT YOU HAVE STARTED THIS WEEK
TAKE THE LEARNING OUTSIDE BY DOING ACTIVITIES FROM OUR OUTDOOR
TRY SOME OF THE ONLINE GAMES AND ACTIVITIES IN THE NORMAL HOMEWORK SECTION.
GO NOODLES OR PE LINKS ON Instagram, Facebook and Twitter: NEXTLEVELSPORTX
REMEMBER TO KEEP READING...TRY SOME OF THE E-BOOK LINKS.
KEEP EXERCISING - USE THE LINKS ON Instagram, Facebook and Twitter: NEXTLEVELSPORTX
PERSONAL, SOCIAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION.
USE THESE DAILY ACTIVITIES TO HELP YOU FEEL CALMER AND HAPPIER.
OR YOU COULD WATCH NEWSROUND TO KEEP YOU INFORMED. THEN YOU COULD MAKE A DIARY TO SHOW WHAT IS HAPPENING AND HOW YOU ARE FEEL ABOUT IT ALL.
P.E. IDEAS FOR EVERY DAY.
Use Instagram, twitter and facebook to find our PE providers NEXTLEVELSPORTX
READING FOR 15 MINUTES EVERY DAY
If you have finished your books, try these on-line books instead. Click on the images to take you to some websites that have free e-books to read. Your parents might have to create a free account before you can use them though.
MATHS EVERY DAY...
MATHS this week - USE THE WEB SITE TO LEARN ABOUT FRACTIONS.
Just click on the image to take you to a set of lessons - one for each day. If it is too difficult, try clicking on the Year Two work. If you complete all of these activities - look for the investigations below...
HERE ARE SOME CLIPS TO HELP YOU LEARN FRACTIONS:
WEEK ONE HELP:
PAST MATHS WORK TO PRACTISE:
AFTER YOU HAVE WATCHED THE CLIP OF THE METHOD THAT YOU USE, SEE IF YOU CAN RECORD YOUR OWN DEMONSTRATION. If you want, you could send it to me, at school, to watch.
Watch the clips and then practise some addition calculations. You could use the sheets below to practise or you could write your own questions. You could even use the dice game to make 3-digit number, like we sometimes do at school.
After that, you could try some of these word problems.
If you want, you could try to write some of your own addition problems and send them to me at school - I might put some of them online for others to solve.
I shall make sure that your rockstars account is set up to include the tables that you should be practising, but if you want to add others, email school and let me know.
ROCKSTAR TESTS FOR THIS WEEK
PLAY SOME TIMES TABLES GAMES WITH YOUR FAMILY
LITERACY - EVERY DAY
LITERACY SKILLS - ACTIVTIES
LITERACY SKILLS - ONLINE PRACTICE:
CREATIVE WRITING ABOUT VOLCANOES
Use these links to help you:
- Make your own book or PowerPoint with information about volcanoes. Use my links to find out things - but remember to do your own research too. Google 'volcanoes + info for kids'.
- Research and find the names of 10 (more if you want to) famous volcanoes around the world. Find out some fascinating facts about each one. Challenge - see if you can put them on to a world map.
- Research fascinating facts about volcanoes and then produce a fascinating facts poster.
- Research some famous eruptions of volcanoes and then make a newspaper report about it.
- Do the same but make a Newsround report (speaking) about the eruption. Write the script and then film it on your tablet.
- Watch the PowerPoint and then create a glossary to explain the meaning of words associated with volcanoes. Use the document below for ideas of words - but you do not need to use all of them. AND remember that you need to order them alphabetically.
- Write an explanation of how a volcano erupts.
- OR draw a diagram to show how a volcano erupts.
- Follow these instructions to make your own volcano. After you have made it, write your own set of instructions. Add diagrams or photos to help your reader know what to do.
- Create some fact files about volcanoes. This document will give you information and some blank sheets - but it is OK to make your own.
ROCKS AND FOSSILS
LEARN MORE ABOUT FOSSILS AND PLAY SOME GAMES.
ICT - WEDNESDAY
ICT - Wednesday afternoons (plus more if you want to)
email - email@example.com
password - 2436Cedar
MUSIC - ON THURSDAY
Username = 2436 first 3 letters of first name and first three of surname
Password = cedar1
OUTDOOR LEARNING - FRIDAYS
SOME IDEAS FOR LEARNING IN YOUR GARDEN:
- Make paints from the things around you by crushing and mixing with water - mud, leaves, flowers. Then create some cave paintings in the style of Stone Age art.
- Make stone age tools - using twigs/branches, stones and string.
- Create Stonehenge using rocks and stones.
- Make a Mesolithic tent for you to hide in.
- Make a miniature round house from sticks, mud and straw.
- Make a miniature stone round house from stones and mud.
ROCKS AND FOSSILS IDEAS
- Look around you and make a list of all the things that are made from stone / rock. Then sort these into a chart to show man-made and natural (you might need to research which are which).
- Build a rock tower. how high can it go? Which shapes work the best? What techniques did you use to get it higher?
- Find lots of rocks in your garden. Sort them into groups (it could be to do with colour, size, patterns, types...) and record this in a diagram. The find other ways to sort the rocks.
- See if you can find a rock that floats. If you cannot, take one of the sinking rocks and see if you can do anything to make it float.
- Make art work using stones - you could use them as an outline for a picture of you could create patterns. Take photos of your work if you can.
- Make a volcano in your garden. Make it using layers and try to create the lava coming out. You could even take a photo and label it.
SPELLING, PUNCTUATION AND GRAMMAR
- Spelling lists for Years 1-4 (these are all the words children should know by the END of year 4 so plenty of practise is needed! Please start at the level you are at and try to keep adding 5 new spellings a week)
- top tips for spelling practise at home - https://www.theschoolrun.com/teachers-tricks-make-spelling-easy
- A revision of using 'a' and 'an'
- A quick revision of adjectives - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zrqqtfr/articles/zy2r6yc
- Expanded noun phrases - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zwwp8mn/articles/z3nfw6f
1. Remember to read 5 times a week. Here are some links to fun reading activities too:
2. Remember to practise your allocated TABLES ON TIMES TABES ROCKSTARS. This link will take you there. . . and then remember to log in:
Username - 2436 then first three letters of your first name and first three letters of your surname
(no capitals or spaces)
Password - THIS IS IN YOUR DIARY
If you have any problems logging on - please email school and I will resend you details or reset your password.
3. Practise your spellings from your spelling cards. Here is a link that will take you to some phonic games:
Remember that you also have spelling cards to practise and the Y3 and 4 spelling list is in your diaries.
Use these links to play some fun tables games to help you learn . . .
WANT MORE HOMEWORK?
USE THE HYPERLINKS TO COMPLETE SOME OF THESE OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES:
WATCH SOME CLIPS ABOUT THE LIFE OF AFRICAN CHILDREN . . .
HOPEFULLY WE WILL BE BACK AT SCHOOL SOON
SO DON'T FORGET OUR UPCOMING SPECIAL DAYS:
- MONDAY 4TH MAY - NOT BANK HOLIDAY; WE START BACK TODAY!
- MONDAY 8TH MAY - BANK HOLIDAY SO WE ARE NOT IN SCHOOL TODAY
- FRIDAY 15TH MAY - SPORTS ENRICHMENT DAY
- THURSDAY 21ST MAY - SCHOOL DISCO AND WE BREAK UP FOR A WEEK
- FRIDAY 22ND MAY - INSET DAY
- TUESDAY 2ND JUNE - OUR TRIP TO TWYCROSS ZOO
- FRIDAY 12TH JUNE - LET'S GLOW DAY
- TUESDAY 16TH JUNE - DISTRICT SPORTS
- FRIDAY 17TH JULY - SUMMER FAYRE
- MONDAY 20TH JULY - SPORTS AFTERNOON
- FRIDAY 24TH JULY - WE BREAK UP FOR THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS
WHAT HAVE WE BEEN UP TO?
TAKE A LOOK . . .
Outdoor learning - floating a raft!
Cedar Class chose to adopt an orang-utan in Borneo. Check out our adoption certificate and read the letter that WWF sent to say thank you.
IMPORTANT INFO FOR PARENTS
OUR TOPIC WEBS
OUR CLASS NEWSLETTERS
Parent's Guide to the New Curriculum
WHAT DID CEDAR CLASS GET UP TO LAST YEAR?
TAKE A LOOK TO SEE SOME EXCITING THINGS THAT YOU MIGHT BE DOING . . .