Advice for Parents
A Few Extra Remote Learning Ideas
Here are some useful links to supplement the school's own remote learning provision. These are parent-tested, linked, and recommended to use as additional material.
- - Free app that's essentially an egg timer but instead grows a tree. Eventually, you can grow a little forest - great for setting reading or writing tasks.
- - Free app that's suitable for all. Try creating your own !
- - It's not free but might be worth a look
- - There's a bunch of free lessons on here for kids aged 4-10. It's a US app and very interactive and fun. The paid version is a more comprehensive experience though.
- - A great phonics app that's really interactive and fun. It's free to use the PC version but £4.99 on the app store.
- - Free app with guided breathing exercises for kids and adults with categories like; calm, sleep, awake, and recharge. It uses visuals (circles) to help you learn how to breathe properly and there's a cute monkey on there: win win! It's good to do together when things start going a bit Pete Tong or just individually.
- - Not an app but rather a YouTube playlist featuring illustrator Mo Willems. He was doing lots of simple little lunchtime doodles last lockdown. He has a nice calming voice, and the doodles are simple to follow.
Ready To Learn - Every Day
Please do take the opportunity to have a look at these leaflets produced by Family Action. They are aimed at real parents in real families! The leaflets are full of practical, wise advice, which will help you to help your child to achieve their potential. If there are any issues with which we can offer support or advice, please do not hesitate to speak to your child's class teacher; we are always happy to help.
The documents below will print out into a handy A5-sized leaflet. If you would like a printed copy, please have a word with someone in the school office and they will be delighted to help.